Now, on to the costumes....
Dustin was lucky enough this year to go trick or treating with his best friend and cousin, Austin Craner. Austin is looking awesome in his purple belt karate suit. Dustin was excited all week to dress up as Spiderman, big muscles and all. I had to threaten him to take the Spidey mask off for this picture.
Despite the rain, we all had a good time. I've had a good time pilfering all the chocolate I can when the kids go to sleep.
Dallin's Halloween Concert -- Dallin has been practicing hard all week and his perserverance paid off on Thursday as he played two songs in his Jazz Band's Halloween Concert. Here's a video of Thriller. I'll add Green Onions a little later.
And for the sake of those of you with slow connections -- here a few pictures of the event.
More Kid Album reviews -- This is a follow up review to the one I did last May about how my favorite band in the world, They Might Be Giants, release their newest album, Here come the 123's. This week I was introduced to two more kids albums which in turn reminded me of a third from my 80's teenage years.
Toy Dolls/Dig that Groove Baby, A Far Out Disc -- The Toy Dolls crept into my cassette tape rotation during my 16th year -- around 1986. As a good Mormon boy who loved fast-paced punk rock, these guys were a perfect fit for me because they were CLEAN!!!!! At the time, I listened to songs from the Suicidal Tendencies, and other bands with questionable names and the Toy Dolls were refreshing. They played silly songs about Elephants running off to Hindustan and about how a wonderful new ointment called Firey Jack would help your nagging back ache. It was funny, it was punk, it was fast, it was guitar heavy and it was clean. I still listen to both of these albums to this day.
The Aquabats/The Fury of the Aquabats -- A friend from work introduced me to this ska-heavy band that made it big in the 90's last week, and it felt like I was listening to the Toy Dolls all over again. A punk/ska sound right on par with my old school favorites -- The English Beat and The Specials -- but with lyrics any kid would get a kick out of of. They sing songs about pool parties and pizza day at the school cafeteria and other full-on silly things. And again, I love it.
Barenaked Ladies/Snacktime -- Dallin introduced me to this album -- I had no idea it was out or was coming out. If there was a band out there that acted like a bunch of kids already, it's these guys. Last year we bought their Christmas album and it became a family favorite around here. Snacktime is growing on me with songs that really remind me of the They Might Be Giants kids albums. Pollywog in a Bog is a song that I think could be a top-20 hit, in my world at least. The other songs deal with issues pressing to kids -- food, numbers, letters and other silly ideas from the minds of this amazing band.
So, there's my latest record review -- love it, buy em, comment!
I've come to the sad conclusion that I need to lose 20 lbs. The only problem is that I love to eat. Is there a way I can reconcile the two? All ideas are welcome.
Pat
3 comments:
Regarding the pumpkins...I've concluded that you have to carve pumpkins no more than 24 hours before Halloween. We carved our Monday and by Friday they were all shriveled up. Aaaargh!
The weight loss...part of the joys of getting older, huh? My husband and I are trying to figure out the same thing as you...how can we eat what we want and still lose weight? To quote Jack Black from School of Rob: "I like to eat, is that such a crime?"
I love the costumes. I never realized until Colby came how expensive costumes can be. I am glad that the weather was decent, normally it is freezing. Also, I love the pictures with the pumpkins!!!
Pat- weight loss? around the holidays? that is crazy talk! ;)
Don't forget "Spiders in the Dressing Room" and "Blue Suede Shoes."
JKV
Post a Comment