Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer Critters, Boating, First day of school

Critter Country: I noticed that we had a lot of leftover pictures of the kids showing off the critter they caught. You'd think the animals in Oregon would have learned by now that Dallin and Dustin come every summer to find them, catch them and sometimes even eat them.

Luckily there were no snakes this year.

Here's a few pictures for your blog reading enjoyment.

This is Dustin's frog. He actually caught several more -- 5 total -- before his frog-catching experience came to an end. He was very upset that we wouldn't let him keep them as pets.

Some people are deathly afraid of even touching a fish, let alone holding one. Not Dustin. He pulled that bad boy out of the water and was holding it in no time.


Here's Dallin showing off one of his crayfish he caught. That little guy was mad, too.

What's the use of catching crayfish if you can't eat them? Here we have Dakota, Dallin and Uncle Dylan getting ready to dig in to the feast! Word on the street is that they taste like chicken.


When we stopped in Vancouver, Washington we visited Grandpa Ken and his amazing ginormous kitty named 'Chloe.'

Chloe has a weight problem. My kids fell in love with this silly cat.

Chloe really didn't like all the attention. He's Grandpa Ken calming her down so Krissy can get her picture with her.

Just in case you didn't figure it out.

The coast brought the critter catching experience to a whole new level. Dustin needed a bucket for all his treasures taken from the coast near Fort Stevens.

Alyssa and Chelsea joined in the fun.

Brandon even managed to dig up a live crab. Tammy said that this picture presents a wonderful juxtaposition -- A crab holding a crab...

(rimshot)

Katelyn found the first 'whole' sand dollar.

While Dallin branched out to find a live shrimp.

and not to be outdone, I too found a full sand dollar. Go me.

Goodbye Glasses, Hello contacts

Kate came back from girls camp looking like this. Notice the bent nature of the rims? Apparently someone 'accidently' stepped on them. So, we finally acquiesced and let her get....

Contacts!

I wish I could get contacts. Sheesh.

Hitting the lake one last time --

Grandma and Grandpa Craner were kind enough to take the kids boating before school started.

A good time was had by all.


First Day of School, 2009 --

Here's Dustin sporting the "Can this be over yet?" look. Dustin is a big second grader this year.

Krissy is always good for a pretty smile. She started the 5th grade A.L.L. (Accelerated Learning Lab) program. She now goes to Highland Elementary with all the other smart kids.

Proof that these two can occupy a common space without fighting.

Katelyn started 7th grade Middle School at Timberline. Dallin calls her a 'Sevvie' - short for 'Seventh Grader.' She tells me she's having a blast.

And here's our big man on campus. 9th grader. Freshman. Lead bass player for Jazz band. Enough Aeropostale t-shirts to clothe the entire school.

But he still hasn't learned that if he gives me a silly smile that it will show up on the blog.

Maybe one day he'll learn.

There you go. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Gillian said...

That is the biggest cat I've ever seen! More to love I suppose! :-)

Amie Orton said...

OH that cat! we just laughed and laughed at that picture of Dustin holding it. Oh man, still laughing. It's almost unbelievable how large he is. Well, there were so many awesome picture and stories in these last two posts, if you would just slow down and post one thing at a time I could comment on all of them. ;) Love the new contacts Kate and the picture of you visiting your mother's grave was really something neat. But oh those coast pictures made us ache with envy for the oregon coast and family. Thanks for keeping us updated pat! Oh and that picture of Krista! OH boy, I thought she was Kendra. Killer cute. And Dallin playing with Grandpa in the band. I could go on.. and on. Loved it all.

amie

Nikki said...

That has to be the fatest cat that I've ever seen!! Wow, looking at your pictures kind of made me miss the northwest. I can't believe how much the kids have grown. I haven't checked out your blog for a while. You all look great!

Clarissa and Darrin said...

From the looks of things it seems like the fam had a great summer. I would like to hop on board. :)

I can't believe how grown up everyone looks. I can't believe Dallin is in high school.