Sunday, August 10, 2008

Return of the Cowboy, Girls Camp, New Calling




Dustin in his new shirt, saluting...


This week brought us the return of Dustin to our family. We're so glad he's back but have to admit that we just can't keep up with Grandma and Grandpa Orton when it comes to excitement and fun around their house.

A few nights before Dustin drove back, Cooter - Mom and Dad Orton's Husky finally got the wish of his dreams - to kill the racoon that walks right up outside of his pen and eats the cat food every so often.

The next morning Grandpa Orton found the dead racoon in their field. He then patiently waited for Dustin to wake up, then led the little boy right out to the treasure. After a few photos were taken, Grandpa and Grandson dug a hole together and buried the poor dead beast.

Grandma and Grandpa also took Dustin school clothes shopping. It wasn't long before Dustin had found the perfect shirt that he just had to get - a maroon and brown cowboy shirt, complete with western snaps. According to Mom and Dad, Dustin told them both that he just 'Had to have it," that "it was perfect for school" and that he wanted no other shirt but that one. Here are a few shots of it.



All in all, it seems the little guy had a great time. Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Orton

New Calling: Today brought good news and bad news on the Church calling front. You see, our ward was split a few weeks ago and while I was hopeful that I'd be released as Elder's Quorum President, Bishop Malanson informed me that I'd probably be retained in my new calling.

Well, today I was released as Elder's Quorum President. Then called as the new ScoutMaster/Young Men 2nd Counselor.

Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire! Right now, I'm a little overwhelmed. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Karli @ Girls Camp in Heber Valley: This is Karli now. Girls camp was awesome. We went to a fabulous church-owned camp in Heber Valley. We had cabins, a kitchen, showers, bathrooms and a huge pavillion. There was a ropes course and a lake that we could ride canoes on. We had a hike and made some fun crafts. The testimony meeting and Faith Walk were very spiritual and uplifting. I didn't get much sleep, the beds were hard and the girls wanted to talk late into the night. But all in all it was a great experience. Then I got home and was told that my services as young women's president were no longer needed. They called a completely new presidency. I kind of wish I would have known that before I went to camp. We all had such a great time and grew closer together. It was really hard at church today. On a lighter note, the kids did great by themselves, but said they really missed me. That was nice to hear. I missed them too. It was also fun to get Dustin back. Although he's having a bit of a hard time adjusting. Dallin is off to Scout Camp this week and Katelyn is going to Clear Creek Camp which is run through the school district. It will just be me and the little kids for awhile.

3 comments:

Dancewear By Heather said...

ah, girls camp, what memories huh? I was recently looking at our group pictures of girls camp and taking that memory stroll. I actually have been wishing to have part in girls camp for quite a few years now, but apparently it isn't meant to be :) I can imagine how hard your release was right after all that time with the girls. (heh but maybe now we can get together eh?)

Unknown said...

He He He! Jason just recieved the same calling 3 weeks ago. He really hates scouting. And is a little nervous about being in young mens. Pretty odd coming from a guy who chose for a living to teach highschool.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karli, Where are the new pictures? We are very anxious to see Katelyn's new haircut! Talk to you soon.
The Acors