Since we're still Mac-less. I'll put on my reviewer hat -- American Idol style. I've been kind of slow to come around, but thanks to Grandma Orton introducing my kids to it, I can't get away from it. So, I've been a good dad this year and watched every episode with the kids and Karli. Of course, my kids have much different ideas than I do, since my musical tastes are MUCH more refined than theirs.
So, without further ado, here is my list of the final twelve from best to worst. Hopefully after this post, I'll still have some friends.
12. Amanda Overmyer, aka Cruella Devil, aka Chewbacca, aka skunk hair -- A veritable one-act pony. Her songs all sound the same, and the only time she tried to step out of her 'I'm an angry rocker chick' the judges just about came unglued. No personality and it gets tougher each week to look at her hair.
11.David Hernandez -- I liked this guy until recent news reports revealed that..... uh wait, this is a family blog. Suffice it to say that it doesn't matter if this guy is the best singer on the competition, I think his past will catch up to him sooner than later.
10. Kristy Lee Cook -- Let's see, she rides horses, is from Oregon and likes to kick-box. What is not to like. I'm pretty sure that she'll be the next one voted off, but Simon hates her, but she is the only Country singer left... who knows? Maybe Redneck nation will save her? Get 'er done!
9. Chikezi Eze -- It's taken a while for me to get past the cornball name. Deep down, I like this guy, however. He's a good jazzy/bluesy singer that should have a nice little career. He does come across as a little unhip, however, which will doom him to an early exit.
8. Syesha Mercado -- I think she's this year Kellie Pickler -- cute, decent singer, but doesn't quite have enough to crack through the real good singers of this year's pool.
7. Ramiele Malubay aka 'Fun Size' -- Powerful singer packed into an itty bitty body. I understand why people like her for her ability to power out the Diva songs -- Whitney, Celine -- but she doesn't crack my top six.
6. Jason Castro aka Dreadlock dude -- There's no denying this guy can sing. His hair is what gives me pause. I mean, everyone understands the first dreads were made when guys put goat crap in their hair and then never washed it, right? This guy doesn't wash his hair. ugh. Going past the hair, however, I enjoy his Jack Johnson/James Taylor style of singing, it's right down my alley. He's a good one.
5. David Cook -- Good news! He's a rocker. Bad news? He rocked out to a Lionel Ritchie song. C'mon David, not Lionel? On the other hand, he's a true rock star that belongs in a decent band. He needs to voted off at about #5 so he can have a cool career -- that's where all the cool people get voted off at.
4. Carly Smithson --Amazing voice, lame tattoo. Cover it up dear. We all know it's there. Our eyes are all drawn to it every time you sing.
3. David Archuleta -- This little Mormon boy will probably win it all. There's no denying his pop-star potential and that is what American Idol wants. His voice is also amazing, which is why he'll win. I put him at three because he's a typical American Idol winner -- great on the show, lots of potential, but in the end, boring.... (Jordin Sparks/Taylor Hicks are a few examples that come to mind.
2. Brooke White -- A truly innovative style and voice, pure and wild at the same time. A female Jack Johnson if you will. Her crazy hair and Mormon values also appeal to me. I put her at number two because she's unique and her singing style is just so cool calm and cool.
1. Michael Johns -- This guy is the only superstar in the competition. He's Australian, sings songs I love, and his good looks will carry him. Every time he gets in front of a crowd he plays the role of a rock star with confidence -- the only real believable candidate in the race.
And there you go. Please comment at will.
And stay tuned next week for my Lost review. That should get a couple of Craners to comment.
9 comments:
Pat! I had no idea you were in the blogging world. Now we can "stay in touch" a little more. I love seeing your family in all these pictures and I love that several family members contribute. I don't have that yet, so it's only my 'voice' on the blog. I loved the Christmas letter you sent, we think of you often. Love you!
Dude, you're totally off on your #1 pick. Matt and I are choosing David Cook. I mean, come on! HE is AWESOME. I even think he's a little sexy . . .
We also like Ms White and David Archuleto (sp?). I agree that David probably won't go as far as some other winner might.
Um, the Australian dude has a good voice, but I'm not thinking he's gonna win. I AM frustrated with Ramielle, because I think that she WOULD be better were she able to pick a good song to showcase herself more. Anyway, I'll be watching for your "Lost review." I almost did one myself of last week's but never got around to it.
I forgot . . . I do like David Castro -- he has a good voice/sound to him. And I don't really care about the dreds.
Now, that Amanda chick has GOT TO GO!!! I can't stand her!!! AUUUGGHHHHHH!
Catherine, Sarah
Thank you for commenting. It's good to know that some people out there understand how to hit the 'comment' button.
Michael Johns is the bomb. He's never had a bad week. David Cook is a Chris Daughtry Clone with Hair. And he's chubby. Yes, I know I'm chubby too, but we're not talking about me. We're talking bout Mr. Cook.
Sorry Pat, I would comment but I have not been watching. We don't have tv anymore so I'm not in on the Idol world. It sounds interesting though. I did see a video of David Archulleta and was pretty impressed however.
Shannon,
That comment was not directed at you at ALL! That was directed at my Craner brethren... including one who goes to the same chapel you do. How is it that you comment so diligently, and that he, my brother, never does?
You're good Shannon. I'd link to your blog if you didn't have a password on it. Tell Joseph hi.
That was very informative, all of it... except for the copyright infringement. I believe you heard your clever little nick name for ramielle from me. "Fun Size"... come on... that's way too funny for you pat.
Whatever. If it's not in your blog, it's not yours. Snooze you lose.
Pat I Was just caught up on this years season via Youtube as of yesterday. My pick is Brooke,so I'm glad she's up there on your list! And I totally agree on the dread locks.
Post a Comment